Join the mailing list

Sunday, November 20, 2005

Still, I Rub

ART BRUT is the feel-good band of the year. Friday was the most fun I’ve had at a non-the Blood Arm show in forever, but I think it gave me nightmares. Seriously!

Example A:

I am in my childhood home—shag, beige carpeting, and the walls are painted like buttermilk, interrupted by framed photographs of various deceased family members. My body is of normal, current proportions, but I am naked, save for a diaper, and my head has transformed into that of an infant’s. A very large infant’s. My right eye itches like hell. Instead of scratching it with my fingers, though, I rub the whole of my face on the carpet. I rub and rub and rub. The skin of my cheeks, forehead, and eyelids burns, cracks, peels, and pusses. Still, I rub. I rub for the better part of an hour.

Now wounded, bloody, oozing and partially blind, I stumble out of my house and into the street. None of the weekday foot-traffic seems to notice me until I am accosted by two old, fat men. They are friendly enough, telling jokes about doctors ordering hickory daiquiris, but they grab me by each of my arms and lead me into a high-school gymnasium, past the rows and rows of bleachers half-full with uninterested spectators, until finally releasing me inside a boxing-ring situated in the center of the floor.

In the opposite corner there is another diaper-clad young man, but his head is that of a bloated grizzly bear. I lunge at him, but it is pointless—my energy has been sufficiently depleted by the earlier face-rubbing, and the grizzly man is much stronger than I. My competitor headbutts me into unconsciousness. When I am down, he kneels over me and gnaws at my stomach, covering his jowls in blood. The audience cheers.

Tell me, what does it mean? (Interpretations are very welcome.)

Yours in terror,
Ben Lee

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

art brut was amazing!

9:53 AM  
Blogger boadwee blog said...

Not ONE MENTION OF GRANDMASTER B OF THE BLOOD ARM at the ART BRUT show? I'm taking great offense! We'll have to chat about this GRANDMASTER B OF THE BLOOD ARM. Signed, GRANDMASTER B OF THE BLOOD ARM. p.s. check out BOADWEE BLOG today, it features thee, GRANDMASTER B OF THE BLOOD ARM!!

10:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To see your childhood home in particular, suggests your own desires for building a family. It also reflects aspects of yourself that were prominent or developed during the time you lived in that home. You may experience some feelings or unfinished expression of emotions that are now being triggered by a waking situation.

To see or wear a diaper in your dream, symbolizes your childish or babyish attitudes/actions. You may be too dependent on others.

The significance of a dream featuring the head must be determined by correlating its details, but as a general guide: A living head (your own or someone else's) is an excellent omen for all that deeply concerns you. A small, narrow, or pointed head indicates more work and less profit than expected, whereas a very large, wide, or round head means the reverse. A swollen head is a warning against overconfidence. A dream of suffering pains in the head or headache is telling you to keep your private affairs to yourself. An accident or blow to the head suggests tension and/or overwork; try to take it easy for a time or have a change of scenery if possible.

To dream that you are scratching yourself, symbolizes a minor irritation or frustration. Perhaps something that began as minor may have the potential to become worse. Or that somebody may have hit a sore spot in you.

To dream that you are in a gymnasium, indicates that you need to apply what you learned and incorporate what you already know into your daily life.

To dream that you participate in a fight, indicates inner turmoil. Some aspect of yourself is in conflict with another aspect of yourself. Perhaps an unresolved or unacknowledged part is fighting for its right to be heard. It may also parallel a fight or struggle that you are going through in your waking life.

To dream that you are fighting to the death, indicates that you are unwilling to acknowledge a waking conflict or your own inner turmoil. You are unwilling and refusing to change your old attitudes and habits.

To dream that you are beaten, indicates that you need to make some fundamental changes to yourself. You need to make some conscious adjustments and evaluations.

If you received the blows in your dream, you can expect an improvement in your status; if you defended yourself, it signifies a return of something you thought was lost. If you struck the blows in your dream, it signifies a coming embarrassment.

Fighting off or killing a bear suggests victory over hostile opposition.




Or you just had some really bad pills.

4:16 AM  
Blogger BLOOD AMBITION 2008 said...

Anonymous, I think I love you. Grandmaster B of the Blood Arm, I know I love you.

6:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home