Join the mailing list

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Manchester!

Manchester! Mancunia! Birthplace of Morrissey! The show at the Apollo was a little intimidating at first as the venue is so fucking huge, but fortunately the Blood Arm's sound is big enough to fill the most gaping of holes, and the show got off without any delays owing to flaccidity. (To parse Zebastian, innuendo is my crutch, especially when I'm drunk. (I'm drunk.) But what is music without sex? And what is sex without music? (I'm asking you this earnestly... as a practicing virgin, I don't know???))

The show was so hot that we all had to strip down to our nothings in order to recuperate afterwards.


But then as soon as the sweat dried we sped off to see Little Barrie at the Manchester Roadhouse, and they had us hot and bothered again in no time. Little Barrie is one of those bands you have to see live to believe, and I'm not just saying this because they invited me to guest MC. I expected the show to be good, as Chalkie--our Tour Manager and Spiritual Guru--is a big fan, but their soulful precision and Dyanmic awesomeness simply blew me six ways from Tuesday, and Tuesday is not until tomorrow. This is some future shit, with a healthy dose of retrosexual. It was one of those shows that one doesn't forget, even after a massive headwound. (I wouldn't type that if it wasn't true. Like, literally.) Fucking amazing.

Barrie is like two guitar players in one--we were asking each other where the second guitar man was hiding for the first half of the set--Lewis, the bass player, drives everything along so effortlessly it seems as if he could be blindfolded and handless and still carry a tune, and if there was ever any question that the drummer was born to play, his God-given name is Billy Skinner.

Okay, time to type about us again. Look how small the band looks from the back of the Apollo:


And this is what Dyan looks like with her morning breakfast:


And here is Zachary giving a fifteen year-old boy a hickey:



More tomorrow, including a special guest entry from We Are Scientist Chris Cain.

I love you,

Ben Lee Handler

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I'm going to start calling you Ben LINK Handler! Ha ha. xo kb

9:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Guys;

It's taken me a bit of time to get back to you but I just wanted to compliment you on a bloody good warm up in Manchester. The Apollo is indeed a big venue but you went a long way to filling the place! I am particularly impressed with your ability to crowd surf face down and still sing on key. I've not seen many people manage that I can tell you . . . .

Picked up the album on the night and was pleased to hear that a lot of your passion on stage is contained in the recording too, which is nice!

Anywho, I'll be stopping by to see you guys on 29/11/2006 in Night & Day. If you haven't been before it's a much more intimate venue (250 tops) so I'm looking forward to a completely different experience.

Cheers

ED

11:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home